I can’t believe it’s been little over 2 years since I had my big chop! Looking back on that time, I remember being excited but also terrified because for the first time in my adult life I didn’t know how the hell to do my hair.
Fast forward to now and after much trial and error, tears, frustration, and eventual patience, I’m finally in a better place. Not only do I have a better handle on how to do my hair, I feel better about myself beyond hair. Going natural was and still is an experience, one I’m grateful for.
I posted a big chop update video on my YouTube channel today celebrating 2 years and answering questions from my subscribers. I talk about my favorite products, why I rarely do protective styles, my biggest lessons I’ve learned, my thoughts on pricey natural hair salons and more. Here’s my big chop update, enjoy!
- Carol’s Daughter Coco Creme Coil Enhancing Moisture Butter ($7)
- Aunt Jackie’s “Don’t Shrink” Flaxseed Elongating Curling Gel ($6.90)
- Kreyol Essence Haitian Black Castor Oil ($16)
- The Hollywood Silk Solution Silk Pillowcase:
- Kinky Curly “Knot Today” Leave-In Conditioner / Detangler ($12)
- Camille Rose Almond Jai Twisting Butter ($15)
- Rooted Treasure Organic Jamaican Black Castor Oil ($15)
- Carol’s Daughter Black Vanilla Hair Moisture + Shine Pure Hair Oil ($10)
- Mizani Thermasmooth Shine Extend Anti-Frizz Spray ($20)