There is so much value in using a good facial cream or moisturizer. Often times we place a lot of emphasis on serums, cleansers, scrubs, and so forth, but that last step–that cream, is what truly holds things down to ensure maximum benefits. Unlike traditional body lotion, facial cream and moisturizers have a higher oil base and ingredients that help with restoring hydration to the skin, which is essential in actually seeing any benefits.
Here’s What Happens When You Don’t Moisturize Your Skin:
- Lack of moisture can cause wrinkles and if you already have them–they’ll become even more pronounced.
- Your melanin will not pop the way you want, and your complexion often looks dull or flaky, instead of supple and luminous.
- In the event that you already have acne, lack of moisture will make it worse and aggravate it.
- A lot of our favorite serums–although effective, can be pretty drying. So by adding on some facial cream, you’re replenishing that moisture.
- Your makeup won’t look as great. Without the added moisture from a facial cream, you are more likely to see creasing.
Choosing The Right One For You:
When choosing a facial cream or moisturizer consider your skin’s needs. If you’re prone to dryer skin, it’s best to try creams that are thicker in their consistency. If you have combination skin, a light cream during the day and something heavier at night is a good routine. And for those with oily skin, that doesn’t mean skipping on the moisturizers–you need it just as much! The skin produces more oil to make up for when it’s lacking, so if you’re already prone to oily skin it can become worse without moisturizer.
When selecting a facial cream for myself not only is moisture a concern but I look for products with long term effects, and this one by ATEM is ideal for enhancing that youthful glow. I’ve been using their Age Defense Facial Cream ($80) for some time now and it’s the perfect last step in my skincare routine. Given that it’s an anti-aging product I don’t necessarily *see* all of the benefits right away, but I can certainly feel it. My skin is even more supple and the moisture lasts for hours. The consistency is perfect for my combination skin–thick enough to lock in moisture, but light enough to pair well under my makeup. ATEM has also been kind enough to extend 20% off to my readers on any of their products, just use the code aishasundara20 at checkout!
Here are some other facial moisturizers and creams worth checking out:
Renée Rouleau Skin Recovery Lotion *great for acne-prone skin ($44)