This weekend officially kicks off summer, and I couldn’t be more excited! Despite having to shelter in place, David and I have been doing our best to bring fun into our own home. Given that we can’t go to any bars, we’ve become quite the mixologists. And I figured why not share some of our newfound cocktail recipes with you!
For this first installment, we decided to go with a bourbon-based cocktail. We recently picked up a bottle of Maker’s Mark Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey, and although we love Old Fashioned‘s figured why not switch things up for a more refreshing taste to kick off the summer. Enter: The Bourbon Smash cocktail.
The mixture of lemon, mint, and bourbon makes for a deliciously bright and citrusy drink perfect for a hot day with some good food.
- 1 oz Simple Syrup (we made our own with sugar and water)
- 8 Individual Fresh Mint Leaves
- 1 Sprig of Fresh Mint Leaves
- 3 Lemon Wedges
- 2oz Bourbon
- In a cocktail shaker, mix the lemon wedges, mint leaves, and simple syrup.
- Muddle together until the lemon wedges are completely smashed down.
- Add the bourbon, and fill the shaker with ice.
- Stir continuously for about 10 seconds.
- Add ice to a rocks glass for the cocktail.
- Using a strainer, pour the drink into the glass.
- Garnish the drink with the mint sprig, and drink!
This cocktail goes well with garlic rosemary pork chops, find the recipe here!